photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Love it or Leave it: All-Over Pattern

sherrill canet

It’s no secret that I absolutely love pattern. I have used it in many places in my home, but I always use it as an accent to a neutral base. While browsing through Sherrill Canet’s portfolio, I couldn’t help but notice the fact that she has an unabashed penchant for all-over pattern. She layers similar patterns on top of one another and uses them as the foundation for a space rather than as an accent. While this approach could look terribly bad if used by someone of lesser talent, Sherrill pulls off the look with panache, creating bold, glamorous spaces.

sherill canet

What are your thoughts? Do you prefer a little bit of pattern or do you like to see it used in a big way?

sherrill canet3

Do you combine patterns with bold colors like this? How many different patterns would you mix in one space? Do tell… do you love the all-over pattern look or would you skip it in favor of using a little pattern with more restraint?

9 comments:

Amy said...

I think pattern packs punch when it is combined with neutrals. Too much pattern and I start to feel a little dizzy. I can't imagine how you would feel after a little bubbly...

Expats Again said...

A little can go a long way, in my view. No need to have patterns on every surface.

Jean-Marc Fray French Antiques said...

I love seeing patterns used in a bold way! It definitely takes talent to pull it off, and these examples are beautiful (though I like the plain chairs better than the patterned in that space). However, I don't think I could take it in every room. A little goes a long way, too!

AJ
http://jeanmarcfray.com

Wahoo4uva said...

LOVE it all the way.

Once upon a Time said...

Leave it. But do Love it in small doses.

Wives said...

i bet more of an accent wall gal myself. i love to mix patterns though. just can never commit to all over, all four walls, that kinda thing.

M.R. said...

love the first pic- the colors and patterns are spot on!

mindofmr.blogspot.com

Kellie Collis said...

How fabulous! Those are lovely patterns with the pops of colors around. Have a delightful weekend, Kellie xx

Kristen @ Old House New Folks said...

I love the bold patterns! The solid yellow accents help anchor everything nicely, I think.