photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Through a Child's Eyes

It's no secret that children see things differently than we adults do. They haven't lived long enough to be jaded cynics. Life is so much simpler when one is a child. I overheard a couple of different children say some really sweet and hilarious things this weekend.

On Friday night, Fabian and I had dinner at a Mexican restaurant out here in the 'burbs. It was filled to the brim with people, yet at one point, it was quiet enough for me to overhear a boy at the next table telling his parents "Tomorrow is going to be the best day of my life!". I have no idea what his plans were because I didn't hear the rest of the conversation, but it really got me thinking. When was the last time I had that very thought? Sadly, I can't remember. Was it the night before my wedding two and a half years ago? Probably not because I was too busy hoping that everything would be perfect. Could it have been last December before Fabian and I traveled to Europe for the first time? No, it couldn't have been. I was too busy checking things off my list and praying that all of our baggage would make it there.


Hearing that little boy say this really put things into perspective for me. I know I am too old and too "me" to really ever believe that tomorrow will be the best day of my life with that type of certainty, (or blind optimism) but I want to start thinking that maybe it could be. Once we reach a certain stage in our lives, we stop expecting things like that. We no longer declare that tomorrow will be the best day ever, but reflect on yesterday instead and think about how amazing the previous day had been.


On another note, Fabian and I had lunch at Cafe Express today because I was craving their Shrimp and Avocado salad. While we were eating, a very distinguished looking Mexican lady in her early thirties walked in with her mother and two adorable daughters, presumably aged four and seven. The four year old walked in and immediately had a look of sheer joy spread across her face as she exclaimed "Queso!" as she made a beeline for the condiment bar and begged her grandmother for some grated parmesan cheese. Her mom went to the counter and ordered, while the rest of the group sat down. The little girl looked like she was in heaven as she scooped the cheese into her mouth. I love food, but I don't remember the last time I was this excited about cheese or any other food. Well, maybe in Paris when I ate my first authentic French pastry!

A few minutes later the girls were giggly and mom said to them: "Quiero que se porten bien...I want you to behave." I tried so hard to hold my laughter in as the seven year old covered her ears as if she wouldn't have to behave if she hadn't heard what her mom said. She was a sassy one! It will be so hard not to laugh when my future babies do things like that. I suppose the moral of the story is that we, as adults, should remember to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life. You never know, tomorrow could very well be the best day of your life.

5 comments:

Sheri said...

Paloma, I think you are already on your way to making a fantastic mother after reading this. Yes, you will have days like that again. Probably the day you have you first child and by living vicariously through your children. It is amazing to see them go through this world with sheer awe and wonder. I get so much joy seeing them experience things.

It reminds me of the first time we took Ava to see Cirque du Soleil. I spent the whole show choked up watching Ava, jaw dropped, experience one of the most amazing things to that date in her life. I remember sitting their thinking that it doesn't get any better than this.

Tricia said...

This is the best part about having kids. Trust me, it isn't playing Barbie for the 90th time in one day. It is the moments when you they say or do something that reminds you what it feels like to measure happiness by what you have in the moment. Not what you desire. Not what happened the day before. But simply, focusing on what you have in front of you. It is in those moments that I, too, am able to put my worries, fears, and frustrations aside and just be happy.

mamacita said...

I love CE's shrimp campeche, too. Yay avocado season!

Unknown said...

Sheri and Tricia,

Your comments are so similar that it speaks volumes of motherhood. It sounds so amazing. :)

Anonymous said...

Funny, I read this post a few days ago and it has stuck with me. I keep remembering "tommorrow is going to be the best day of my life"!